Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Contender Reading Review


The Contender

Harper Trophy

Published 1993
In the book The Contender by Robert Lipsyte, Alfred Brooks is a high school student that is a dropout. He is scared for his future and he works at a grocery store that is leading him nowhere. He does boxing and he goes to a place where all of the champions learned how to box.
" You wanna fight somebody you fight me,"said the enormous belly,pushing Alfred out of his way. "I say aint no man,neither."(pg.71)
Throughout the book it has shown the stuggles that he went through with his family and also what he had to go through when he stopped going to school. Since he stopped going to school it had showed the different situations that he had gone through and what he had to overcome. He didnt know what to do with his future. So thats when he thought about going into boxing. This quote shows what he had thought about before he started to box. What he had to say to people so that he could get himself pumped up and looked forward to what he had to do during the fight.
I really enjoyed reading this book. I enjoy reading sports books because I think that since I play sports that it would be more enjoyable for me. If I didnt play sports or had no idea what some of the other sports did then I wouldnt want to read them and I wouldnt be interested in reading them. After reading this book, it has really opened my eyes to show that even no matter what sports you play or if your in school or not, that there is many difficult situations in your life that you would come across and that you would have to work through. Also that when you play sports it could take your mind away from the hard situations in your life that you are going through and that sooner or later you will be able to over come them along the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment